Friday, July 27, 2012

The wrong side of the bed


                It was one of those days where I was struggling at everything. I had no real reason why, I just wasn’t doing well. I was making those silly little mistakes that you scoff at when you see others do it. Sometimes you’re just 24 hours away from being in their shoes, making that same mistake. You can pride yourself on quality and professionalism, but sometimes you can’t fill every crack, you can’t be perfect every day. It sucks, it really does. There’s no other way to say it. Though, it gives you a reason to not judge people by small samples of their life. Days like these can do a lot, either take you back or bring you forward. You can spend the day cautiously avoiding more work because you know it will be frustrating. Or you could pick up more than you can handle and really push yourself past that seemingly unbreakable wall called a bad day. I did most of the former, and I regret it, I thought that less urgency would produce higher quality work, but it doesn’t. No urgency means no drive, no drive means complacency.
                I’m not saying you should come down hard on yourself for performing poorly on a bad day, but you should be aware of the mistakes you made. Take note in what you did wrong and never let it happen again. Institutionalized errors are the downfall of great potential. I should have fought harder to learn more today, I should have tried to break through the slump. I didn’t though, I saw a challenge and I gave up. I didn’t just give up; I gave up and convinced myself that I was still doing something to handle the problem. I was telling myself things are still getting done, even though I know they’re not. That’s the ultimate kind of bad day, broken spirit, broken drive, broken mind, yet you’re suppressing it all. I know next time I see it; I need to instantly identify a bad day and let the mistakes happen for a bit, but become aware of them. I need to adapt. That’s why the best become the best, because no matter how many times there’s a change in plans, they change with it. Mike Tyson summed it up “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” There’s a few option after that. 1.you can fall down now, 2. take a few more punches and fall down later, or 3. put up your guard, bob and weave a little bit then throw that right hook you’ve been working on. Annnnnnnddd that’s the first sports analogy of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment