Friday, July 27, 2012

Saturdays


Mostly Saturdays are days to catch up on things I’ve missed during the week. Sleep is the big thing, but so is time to be alone. That’s one of the conditions of being an introvert; you NEED time to be alone with your own thoughts, time to recharge your social batteries. For me, it’s about reflection. Time to think of all the things I did right, things I did wrong, and things I need to start doing better. It’s nice closure for the week. I can keep track of all my actions and reevaluate them with a completely clear head. It’s one of the small things I do to advance myself as far as possible.
                I know Saturdays are full of plans and social interactions, but it’s truly best to take some time for you. Turn off the tv, turn off the cellphone, log out of Facebook and stare at ceiling and think. It’s a dull thought, but once you immerse yourself in it, you won’t want to leave. You can relive all of the tiny victories you had in the last week and truly appreciate them for the first time. This week I felt the real emotion in handwritten notes for the first time in years. It’s a recorded secrecy, a permanent exchange of words and feelings. And they can give you that modest smirk in a public area. When you get time to really read them and hold nothing back in a private area, the words come off even sweeter. Things like that are nice to relive.
                Sometimes there are defeats that you have to relive. It’s best not to dwell here, but it’s important to remember these. You need to build your next week off of your defeats just as much as your victories. Defeats give you something to work towards, while victories give you something to work off of. So take the time to comprehend your mistakes, and spend a little bit more time planning to avoid them.
                In hopes you take my advice, whether introvert or extrovert, I’ll give a few suggestions. Find music you love for reflecting. Not just songs you bob your head to, or music that you love to dance to, but music that you truly love in lyrics and in sound. My soundtrack is Bon Iver, The Tallest Man on Earth, and Death Cab for Cutie. If there’s no texture on the ceiling to stare at, project images of your mind. Better yet, don’t project, paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment