Saturday, July 28, 2012

Falling short


Yesterday I ran the 5k “Outbreak Manila” at BGC, which is based off of USA’s “Run for your lives.” Which are race events with zombies and obstacles scattered throughout the course, and zombies try to take flags from your “life belt.”  First off I highly suggest you do it if there’s ever an opportunity, regardless if you’re a runner. It’s a really great time, and if you don’t run with friends, you’ll find an alliance really quickly. Something about the will to survive really brings people together, even though it might not last long. There were a lot of moments when I really wanted to see how I could do, so I took the lead through “zombie hordes” but I always waited for everyone to catch up. I can’t say they were holding me back, rather we were holding everyone together. Survival of the fittest has changed a lot. Of course, the very top can survive alone, and some do. Besides that though, there’s a large middle group, and some chose to be there instead of out in the front. Compassion and teamwork have really worked their way into society, even if there are still a few bad apples. I didn’t push myself as hard as I could have, but sometimes it is best not to go all out, especially when it only helps you.
10 meters from the finish line was something that humbled me, possibly only me. It was raining early that night (our wave started at 11:30pm) and there were a few places on the course that accumulated most of the water. In blind confidence, I sprinted ahead near the end of the race because I still had some energy left. There, just 30 some feet away from the finish line I fell in a puddle.  It only makes sense, I ran what I considered to be perfect for 4.99k, just to fall a little bit short. I guess it means a lot, no matter how well I do, there’s always something I know I can improve on. That’s life for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment