Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Ultimate Motivation


There’s a lot of reason behind everything I do. Of course, it almost never comes to mind. So I spent today thinking of my greatest motivation.  Here’s what I wrote down.
It’s hard to pinpoint. A lot of the time it’s love. I do things for love that I would never do for anything else. That’s just a human condition though. There’s motivation there to change who I am for the person I love. In a sense, love is the wrong motivation if it’s for change.
                Then there’s expression. As a writer, what I want to do is express myself and hope some one understands. I have a huge drive for words to be read by millions of people. There’s a false perception that my words will make them love me. That would mean that love still motivates me here. In the end, I don’t wake up in the morning for either love or expression.
                I spent a lot of free time working out. So maybe health is a great motivator. Not alone though, in high school I was never an athlete. In fact I was cut from the tennis team three years in a row. So when I had a chance to prove myself at an athletic level in college Ultimate, I did everything I could to get better. I can’t say I want to be healthy just to be healthy. There’s a second motivation behind that, self-worth. My health is proof to everyone that I am good enough to be an athlete.
                Finally, my education is big. I mean I spend $30,000 a year on it. I love it, though. Finance is something I truly enjoy. I can help people feel secure about their future. Security is something I haven’t gotten to experience.  I want to make sure that no one has to experience such strong pain from something that can be so easy to keep track of. There’s so much more than just my education that I worry about.
                I came to the conclusion that improvement is my ultimate motivator. Every day I want to wake up and love more, express more, be healthier, and learn more. I want to be a better person than I was yesterday. When days get rough, I can take comfort in the fact I am not a different person from the past, but just simply a better person. In every way I can imagine, I’ve improved, just because I have more drive. I’ve always had the heart to get where I am, but there was never the drive. Now that I found it in everything I do, there’s no looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment