Thursday, August 16, 2012

Perceptions and Extended Metaphors


I spent a lot of today thinking. What if you discovered a new light in your life? Maybe it’s a new friend or new hobby. What if it turned into a bright star, and you had to watch it slowly inch towards a black hole until its light can’t escape the vacuum, until its light can no longer warm your skin. I know  I’d hate that, and I’d do everything I could to make sure it didn’t get pulled in (bad metaphor, can’t escape a blackhole). How do you keep things like that alive?
What if I just make it out to be a shining star, but everyone else sees it as a black hole?  First, I’d tell everyone they’re wrong. They can look with their fancier telescopes and years of experience and tell me it’s a black hole, but they’ll never be able to look through my eyes and see the star shine like I see. Perception is the strangest thing. It tells us what we see is actually who we are. Other people can’t see like me, because they’ve been molded into different people with different vision. Maybe they see black hole because it’s all they’ve ever seen, or deep down it’s what they want to see. I see shining star because I want to see a shining star, but I also can feel the aura of a star.
                If words meant anything to stars, and they had control, this is what I would say “Don’t go towards black holes, or near stars that make you look brighter. Go where you shine brightest, even if it’s in uncharted territory. When you shine the brightest, other stars will take notice and support you, regardless of how dangerous it looks.”

1 comment:

  1. You choose to see the good, Jon. The world needs to have more people like you.

    ReplyDelete